He was born and raised in Sitnasuaq (Nome, Alaska USA), and honored with a Tlingit name of Duk’aan from the late Kiks.adi clan mother Lw’ooghu Amy Nelson. Ukallaysaaq graduated with honors from California Lutheran University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration, and from the University of Alaska with a Master of Arts in Rural Development. In addition, he has over 20 years of professional working experience with rural and tribal-Alaska-nonprofit organizations and Alaska Native for-profit corporations. His wife is Igluguq Dianne Okleasik, Inupiaq/Qikiqtagruqmiut, born and raised in Kotzebue.
Project and consulting accomplishments include:
- Village comprehensive planning with the Northwest Arctic Borough and Kawerak, Inc.
- Corporate strategic planning with Norton Sound Health Corporation including the board and with four division levels (administration, finance, hospital services and community health services).
- Strategic community wellness planning with the Nome Community Center striving for a tobacco free community.
- Facilitating a summit of Inupiaq educators to develop strategies to strengthen Alaska Native education in schools.
- Developing and leading grant training and management curriculum with Native American Management Services, Maniilaq Association and Kawerak, Inc.
- Webinars on Understanding Subsistence and Rural Ways of Life.
- Inupiaq Language Plan with the Northwest Arctic Borough to support language and culture revitalization.